Saturday, April 6, 2013

Cream Puff Cake



Growing up, it seemed like my parents were always doing some sort of diet, and I would inevitably be stuck eating at least some of their concoctions. My favorite was when they did slimfast - ha! I LOVED taking little sips of their magical milkshakes! At one point they began doing the low carb diet. They ate some pretty nasty sounding stuff - pancakes and french toast made from pork rinds was constantly on the menu. While I refused to eat most of it, I did come to love cream puffs. My mom would always make them, and for her and my dad she would load them with whipped cream and nuts, but she would always fill mine with pudding - yum! So when I came across a recipe for cream puff cake, I automatically had a sudden craving for it. So I made it and took it over to dinner with my parents so we could reminisce on those cream puff days.

The thing with cream puffs is, they're ridiculously easy. Pre-heat your oven to 400.  First throw your butter and water on the stove top until it boils.



Next, have your flour ready and pour the butter/water mixture on top. Stir well and allow it to cool slightly.  It should have a cream of wheat type consistancy right now.



Beat in eggs, one at a time. You'll notice your batter growing in proportion with each egg.  Poor and spread evenly into a greased 13x9 pan.



Put it in your oven for 30 minutes at 400. Once it's done, allow it to completely cool before putting your pudding mixture in it.



Grab another mixing bowl and beat pudding mix, cream cheese, and milk until there are no lumps. Making sure that the cream puff crust has cooled, pour your pudding mixture on top. At this point I covered it and let it chill in the fridge because it wasn't going to be served until the next day. I would recommend letting it chill for at least an hour so the pudding can set. I chose to do chocolate for this one, but with pudding flavors, the possibilities are endless. Maybe banana next time?




Next top with cool whip, and your favorite toppings - I used chocolate syrup and crushed walnuts. Enjoy!





Cream Puff Cake

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 cup flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 large package instant pudding
  • 8oz package cream cheese
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 tub cool whip
  •  toppings

No comments:

Post a Comment