Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Crownies



So I knew that I wanted to do some baking last night, so I started surfing through Pinterest and I came across a picture that I'd seen before; a cookie on top of a brownie, also known as the "crownie." It once again intrigued me. I clicked on the picture and of course I was saddened to see that it was one of those pins like the doors in the Winchester Mystery House - it led to nowhere. No recipe. Ugh. So I typed in crownie in the search bar and starting sifting through different pins. Most were done in pans, so they came out more like bars, but I definitely wanted to do them in muffin tins. Every recipe I saw said to put the two together and bake for 30 minutes, but they obviously used different recipes than my go to cookie recipe and I was afraid that the brownies on the bottom would not get done and the cookies on the top would burn, so I kinda just did my own thing and they turned out fabulous. So here it is!

Pre-heat your oven to 350° and spray or grease your muffin tins. Start with doing your cookie batter and then set aside. My recipe calls for two cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I did half chocolate and half Reese's chips just to give it a little peanut butter kick.



Then whip up your brownie batter and get ready for some magic! And yes, I did use a boxed brownie mix - whatever. I was completely out of cocoa powder and I just happened to have a box of brownie mix from the last time I had a late night craving that I eventually talked myself out of.


Next - the assembly. I found the best way to do this was to use a cookie scoop. I had just bought one and I decided to use it so I knew I had the same amount in every tin. My mom always taught me to spoon-drop my cookies, and so I became this sort of spoon-drop cookie snob and I looked down on those that used scoops, but NO MORE. I love this thing, and I'll be using it from now on. So use your scoop to do the bottom brownie layer in the tins. Put them in the oven for 10-12 minutes and pull them out. The edges should be solid but the centers should still be ooey gooey.




Turn your oven up to 375°. At this point, take a knife or fork and mush up the centers; I did this to make sure my cookies would stick well to the brownies, since I wasn't baking both batters together all at once.

 
 
Next, grab your cookie scoop and put on your cookie layer.
 
 


Put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes and prepare to be amazed. The cookies should be golden brown on the top, and the centers may still be a little dough-ey, but this is usually how this cookie recipe has always come out for me. I waited like 10 minutes to pop them out just to make sure the cookie part didn't fall apart and behold - they were perfect! The brownies were perfectly baked all the way through and my cookies weren't burnt at all!

 
 
My brownie batter allowed enough for about 17 Crownies, then I just baked the rest of my cookies with the superfluous ( I love that word) dough.  Enjoy!
 
For the Cookie Layer:
 
Ingredients
  •  2 ¾  cup flour
  •  1 teaspoon baking soda
  •  1 teaspoon salt
  •  1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  •  ¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
  •  ¾ cup sugar
  •  1 teaspoon vanilla
  •  2 eggs
  •  2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) and set aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Mix in vanilla, and beat in eggs one at a time.
  3. Gradualy mix in dry ingredients, during a third at a time and finally stir in chocolate chips.
 
For Brownie Layer:
 
Ingredients
  • 1 brownie mix
  • 1 egg
  • ¼  cup water
  • ¼  cup vegetable oil
Directions
  1. Read the box! Ha, just mix it all together!
 
Bakers Tip: When you do the brown sugar in your cookie recipe, pack the crap out of that stuff! My mom taught me to use brown sugar like there's no tomorrow and that's why these cookies always come out sooo delicious! Enjoy!

     
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment